Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Still Life Painting Study


Just a rough study I cranked out in 1.5 hours. From Life.

Some people were interested in my process, so here it is. I start of with a sketch then I block in the local color with an airbrush. The next stage is blocking in everything (which I'm not very good at yet). I mostly use a brush with really low flow so some color shows through and I can blend easily. I don't use pen pressure opacity at all. My brushes are 100% opaque but I turn flow pressure on. After this I would add detail textures and highlights, but this was a quick study so I didn't have time for that.

When I paint from imagination I use a similar process, but I do value and color studies first so I know what I'm doing from the beginning and don't have to guess. The challenge with this process is if you screw up your values and colors in the first painting step it's really hard to fix later because each layer builds on the other. You also gotta be careful not to make the initial color too saturated or contrasting because it's harder to pump out the highlights/accents later on. I'm going to try a more opaque approach and see if this makes it easier to correct stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment